Filed under: Reaction
Am I a Church Planter?
Summarized: 20 Characteristics of a Church Planter
1. Am I a Christian? (John 3:16)
2. Am I passionately in love with Jesus and is He the Lord of every area of my life? (Personal spiritual dynamics is the second most important area)
3. Do I believe His word and does it affect my life deeply?
4. Am I Spirit-filled, Spirit-directed, Spirit-led and Spirit-controlled? (Acts 1:8)
5. Am I qualified as an Elder? (1 Timothy, Titus)
6. Do I love the local church as the expression of a gospel community on mission? (Matthew 28:18-20)
7. Am I a missionary to the city? Am I sent for the advancement of the gospel in the city (John 20:21)?
8. Do I have a clear vision for this new work? (Nehemiah 1:3, 4; 2:11-18)
9. Am I willing to pour myself out in obedience to the vision? (Phil. 2; Romans 6)
10. Am I healthy? Physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually, relationally, maritally
11. Am I the kind of leader many people will follow? Have I served as a church leader successfully? (1 Tim. 5:22; 3:6)
12. Can I preach effectively?
13. Can I guard the doctrinal door with Biblical clarity and tenacious confidence?
14. Can I architect a new work with entrepreneurial skill?
15. Am I called to plant a church at this time and in this place? (Acts 17:26; 1 Peter 5:2)
16. Have my church leaders commended me for this calling? (Acts 11:22-26; 13:1-4; 16:1-2)
17. Am I a hard worker? Am I persevering? (2 Thes. 3:10; 1 Tim. 5:17-18; 2 Tim. 2:3-4; 2:5; 2:6)
18. Am I adaptable to new people, places and concepts?
19. Can I raise the funds needed for my family’s needs? (1 Tim. 5:8)
20. Am I humble enough to learn from others—particularly from those who have gone ahead of me in different areas?
I understand and respect the thoughts behind this, but honestly could not pass their test. In reverse order I list my failings.
19. No. I am a financial train wreck at the moment. We live from God’s hand to our mouths. We go down to $0 and He provides. I got a call from a customer I serviced 15 years ago to electrically rebuild a Lucas boring machine. Thousands of dollars from a guy I have not heard from in over a decade, to do work I have not done or thought about in the same time . All God. No me. The thing actually runs!
16. Kinda, my old Pastor sent me out to preach, but the mission has expanded greatly since then.
12. Only when the Spirit empowers.
11 No. I never served successfully as a church leader. Then again neither did Moses until his call and Paul was a failure when he started out. I was a good fire Chief though, does that count?
10. Healthy, no; overweight post cancer, missing disks in my back, and that is just the physical. Emotionally I fight depression weekly if not daily. Spiritually, I have more good days then bad, but the bad is really bad. Relationally I guess I am ok, ask people I relate to, maritally, well doesn’t everybody have ups and downs? Almost 30 years and I love her more than ever, is that OK?
8. Everytime I think I have a clear vision God changes it. So I guess, no.
5. Opinion required- see financial train wreck.
4. On my good days, yes. Oh please God that there would be more of those! But honestly, not always. I can get soo pig headed. Wow.
So 7 wrong with a weight of 5 points a piece I get a 65. F. FAIL. I sure am glad I don’t work for Acts29. I would be a failure. God chose me to do what I am doing, He will guide me through. I feel so blessed.
God has a history of using losers just like me. Thank you Jesus.
3 Comments so far
Leave a comment